
I honestly don't know where to start. Our family has made a big decision. After living in Atlanta for 8 years, we are moving to Chicago, Illinois. Rick has accepted a great job there with National Vision and has already started working. He is there during the week and comes home on the weekends. The kids and I are staying here until our house is rented and then we will move officially. For the last two weeks, I have been in total denial. My emotions range from so sad to leave Georgia and my family, excited to move to a new place to explore, and disgust that I will have to deal with arctic weather and huge amounts of snow (I get cold in Atlanta). I really don't know how this southern girl is going to last. Saying that, I know that once we get there, our family will adjust quickly.
When we told Ben about our move he was very excited. We showed him a map and told him about fun things to do there. He was most excited that it snows. He will have all the snow he can imagine. He also is glad they have two major league baseball teams to go to.
Now I am just trying to clean out closets and get rid of things we don't need or use. Part of the relocation package includes me going to Chicago with Rick for house hunting trips. I will be doing that in the next few weekends. Which by the way, sounds like a dream come true. I haven't been on a plane by myself since college. No kids to entertain and no one to talk to sounds great!!
Since we don't know anyone in Chicago or know our way around, we would love any suggestions about great restaurants, good neighborhoods and fun family activites.
The next few weeks or months are going to be very chaotic for us but we are thinking of it as an adventure.
9 comments:
Congrats! This does sound like a big decision. You might actually have to invest in coats and gloves and scarves - I hope they factored that into the relocation package.
I look forward to hearing more of the details at the Posse get-together!
You are such a trooper. We are so happy for you guys and look forward to hearing all about Chicago. You are so brave to make such a climate change. We love you guys and hope the best for you. Congratulations Rick!!!
John has several cousins that live in Chicago and they love it. You will have to let me know where you guys will be and if it is close to them. I know some of them have kids your age. Moving is scary but exciting at the same time. Good luck with everything.
wow, that is a big deal! how will you bear to be away from Atlanta and your family?? :) just teasin'... though tough it may be, i'm sure you'll have a GREAT experience! i have a friend who lived outside Chicago for middle school/high school, so i'll ask her for ya... though i hate the whole moving process, it is a good opportunity to clean out and simplify and start fresh!! :) good luck!
Hey LaRon,
I would love to know where John's cousins live (what town). We are trying to narrow down where to look for a house. Also if they are LDS, I would love to know about the wards in their area. Thanks so much!!
I think "the family" is also somewhat in denial. As you say, "the crazy has left." It will be eerily quiet without Ben and Olivia on Sundays. Carson will have to find that voice soon. All four of you mean more to us than just family. We love your company and making each other laugh. I only hope that we all make frequent trips for family vacations.
Ditto on Dinisha's sentiments. We are fully depressed.
Hey - just keep telling yourself it's not forever. Once you are there six months and have made life-long friends (which I know you will do), you find one day that you really like it! (Of course, in six months it will be beautiful there). We are actually hoping you get there soon, then you'll only be 4 hours away instead of 8.
Hang in there - the worst part is the actual moving of the stuff!
Wow! Congratulations! That's so exciting (along with all those other emotions you mentioned.) I have a couple of neighbors that moved here from Chicago. I'll have to ask them what they'd recommend. I'm with you on the snow and cold - hate it. But I'm sure you'll adjust quickly. Good luck!
Post a Comment