Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day Postponed

Sunday morning (Mother's Day) at 5 am, I woke up to Olivia screaming "I can't breathe!!" We ran in her room and she was gasping to breathe. After she calmed down her breathing got a little better but she also had a fever. This was not a good way to start Mother's Day. We called the pediatrician and she said it was probably a virus. She said to give her Motrin for the fever and if the breathing worsens to go to the hospital. Rick stayed home from church with Olivia. Then Ben, and I took Will to church for the first time for sacrament meeting, then Rick and I traded so that he could teach his lesson.
Olivia seemed to get better during the day but when she went to bed Sunday night. She kept having breathing attacks where she couldn't catch her breath. Rick took her to the emergency room at about 10:30. He said he could call me when they got in a room. It had been about an hour and since the hospital is very close to us, I started getting nervous. I called Rick's cell phone and got voicemail. My mind started going to the worst scenario. So I texted him, no answer. After about 30 minutes of completely freaking out, I decided to call the hospital. They put me through to their room. Rick answered and said everything was fine but the emergency room didn't have cell service. Nice! It seems as though you should be able to get a hold of someone with an emergency. They diagnosed her with croup.
They got home around 1:30. Olivia was in a happy mood because the nurses had given her a popsicle, a fox stuffed animal, and some stickers and had not given her a shot, just some medicine she could drink. We got her to bed and crawled into our bed to hopefully get some sleep. Just as we laid down, Will started crying and was up for another 2 hours.
So this year, Mothers Day will be Sunday May 16th for the Meyer family, baring any catastrophes.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my!!! I am so sorry! That sounds terrible. How is Olivia now? I hope she is well.

Shelley said...

Oh I am so sorry! Croup is a little scary. I hope she is doing better . . . and that you are able to sleep sometimes!