In March we were able to go to a Children's play downtown. Aunt Dinisha and Uncle Brian had got tickets for the kids for Christmas. We saw 'Alexander and the Very Bad Day'. The kids had a great time and we hit up a diner across the street for lunch.
For the first time I was able to vote for a Mormon in the primary election in Illinois!! Mitt won Illinois and is now the Republican candidate for President. It looks like I will be able to vote for him again in November.Back when he ran four years ago, I read an interview with him. One of the questions asked was what he ate for breakfast. He said that Ann would make granola for him and the article included the recipe. I made it soon after and my kids LOVE it. We always have some at our house for snacks or breakfast.
In my recipe book I have it called
'Mitt Romney Granola'
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped almonds (I use slivered almonds)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oats then cook and stir until starting to brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spread out on a cookie sheet to cool.
Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat, Stir in honey, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and brown sugar; cook and stir for another 5 minutes or so. Pour out onto the cookie sheet cook in the oven at 350 for 5-7 minutes.
Once cool, transfer to an airtight container and stir in the almonds, and dried cranberries. Any additional nuts or fruit can be added at this time too.
We also flew down to Atlanta for our spring break/house hunting trip. A highlight for the kids was riding in the limo to the airport.
Although mostly Rick and I just looked at houses, we did hang out with cousins and family.
We went to the Yellow River Game Ranch one morning.
And we always have to visit 'Grandma's waterfall'.
After driving around and looking at houses for days on end, I realized I needed glasses for at least movies and driving long distances. After we got home, an eye exam proved me right. In the last few years, I have noticed more than one or two gray hairs too. For the first time I am feeling a little old!
Also this month, I made these little sweet treats (courtesy of Our Best Bites) for the kids teachers for St. Patrick's Day. Everybody loved them!! I think teachers don't expect to get anything for St. Patricks' Day so they were extra surprised.


No comments:
Post a Comment