Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Decorations

I don't know about you, but if there was a fire in my house, and of course after family, the plastic tub where I keep the Christmas ornaments might be what I grab first. Over the last 12 years, Rick and I have collected ornaments from vacations we have been on, places we have lived and things we have done or accomplished during that year. Every Christmas I love opening the ornament box and reliving those memories from the previous years. We always talk about it as we decorate the tree. I love this tradition. All of the ornaments are irreplaceable and priceless!

Olivia's 1st Christmas

Gulf Shores, Beach trip

Italy trip Ben's 1st Christmas
Rick getting his MBA (Go Dawgs!)
England trip We have a hand carved Santa collection that we have been adding to each year since we have been married too. Rick's sweet Grandpa would send us a Santa or two a year that he would have carved for us. They all look completely different and they are all so cute. Grandpa passed away about a week before Will was born this year, so this year we won't be receiving any beautifully carved Santa's. I know Rick and I always think of sweet Grandpa every time we look at them.
A tradition that has continued now without really meaning to is the wreath on our front door. The first year Rick and I were married we bought a fresh green wreath from Costco. It smelled good, was pretty and cheap! It was perfect. So every year since then we have had a Costco wreath hanging on our front door. Now each year I see all of these cute Christmas wreaths and think maybe I should change it up a bit, but I can't. I just can't break the tradition now. Heavens knows what will happen if for some reason Costco decides to not carry them anymore. On a side note, I love Costco, like really really love Costco. It's a little unhealthy.

Our stockings are the same stockings I had growing up as a kid. My mom made them and somehow I ended up with mine and a few others. I think my mom had asked if my brothers wanted theirs and being boys they all said no, so I got them all. Lucky me.! One of the only benefits to being the only girl.
holly-me, stocking-Will, present-Olivia, stars-Rick & tree-Ben

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Gosh, Susan! I guess it never occurred to me quite how priceless all my ornaments are! I have all mine from growing up, plus what we've collected as a family.

Thanks for helping me decide what would be the first I would grab in a fire!!