Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2nd Half Marathon - Valentines Day





I can't say running a half marathon was exactly how I wanted to spend Valentines morning. I did voluntarily sign up for it, so I have no one to blame but myself. I was really wanting to run another 1/2 marathon but I had not been following a training schedule. I had been running about 5-6 miles, 3 times a week. I decided that I was going to run it about 3 days before the race and that I would be fine.
The first 6 miles went well. In fact, I was beating my original time and I wasn't tired or hurting. At the turn around (halfway)all of the sudden, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the kneecap. NOT GOOD!! Remember... I still have 6.5 miles to run. I couldn't run on it at all. I limped for a minute and tried again with no success. Right about now, I was wishing I had worn my knee band. I really think that if I had had it, I would have done really well. The last 6.5 miles was so sad. I would just run until it hurt too bad to and then walk. I finished and got my medal (Ben thinks I won, because I recieved a medal). Rick and the kids were there at the finish line. Olivia saw me coming and started running toward me, yelling 'it's mommy'!! It was really sweet. I only added 20 minutes to my last time, which was a miracle since I was so much slower the last half of the race.
As a side note, it rained on me most of the race. The last 1/2 that I ran, it also rained. I have bad luck...I mean we don't live in Seattle!!!
That evening, our sweet friends the Westerby's came to visit from Ohio. It was so good to see them and meet their cute newest addition to their family (they adopted a baby girl Ester). We all went to dinner and caught up. We love you Ben & Ginny!!

5 comments:

Jeremy Price said...

Congratulations Susan what a great accomplishment, I am so impressed. You are such a great example to your family.

Jason and Charlotte said...

Way to go Susan!! I have some friends that just ran in a marathon this past weekend. You guys are crazy but I am proud of you though!!! love ya

Paula said...

way to go! I started running last year and think maybe one day in the far future I will run a half. Very impressive.

The Kipper Family said...

Great job! I have only attempted a 5K. You rock!!! We missed you at play group this week.

The Calls said...

Good Job Susan!!! Congratulations on having an awesome will power and mind strength to get through the race! I hope your knee is better! Do you know what happened?